Harambe? I think not!

For my first STEAM course of my sophomore year, I am taking a class called population. In this unit we learned about different organisms' characteristics and taxonomy. Taxonomy is how scientist classify organisms. We learned about set theory and Venn diagrams. We then applied set theory, Venn diagrams, and taxonomy to our projects. I chose the Chimpanzee, also known as Pan. I researched its taxonomy and key characteristics. We then made a mosaic art piece of our animal, in this case mine was a Chimpanzee. This was the hardest part of the project for me. I am not good at making mosaics but I pushed through it telling myself I can do it! My motto in life is “I can do all things.” -Paul VU I think at the end the mosaic turned out really nice, and I certainly think this was the best part of my project. Enjoy!
Aaron Logon. (January 23, 2006) Chimp
The organism that I chose is the Chimpanzee and its scientific name is Pan.

Below you can find a gif that I created. The picture used in my gif is a mosaic of a Chimpanzee. Taxonomy is a system that scientist use to classify all living things. Scientists organize and classify organisms by choosing which category it falls into. For an example Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, and Species are the categories used in taxonomy. Therefore, I had to order and identify the taxonomic features of the Chimpanzee. In addition I listed the morphological features and finally tagged it with it’s taxonomic levels.
PVU. (September, 2016) Gif
Taxonomic Level
Your organism’s group
Key characteristics of group
Kingdom
Animalia
This means they are multicellular
Phylum
Chordata
Chimps have notochord
Class
Mammalia
This means they obtain fur
Order
Primates
They have five fingers
Family
Hominidae
Chimps have a pretty big brain.
Genus
Pan
Chimps have palms on their hands and soles on their feet
Species
Pan troglodytes
Animal with black fur and brown face.


As I had briefly stated before, we learned a lot about Set Theory in class. I personally really enjoy and excel in Set Theory. Set Theory is a type of language used to write mathematical statements. Set Theory statements are used to explain mathematical groups. I learned and used Set theory to explain statements about the Chimpanzee. For example it would tell me something was set of {A} or wasn’t a set of {A}.


A=Chimpanzee's, M=Animalia, P=Omnivores, H=Aquatic L=Aerial Locomotion

1. A Є {M}

(Chimpanzees is an element in the set of Animalia.)

2. A ∉ L

(Chimpanzees is not an element in the set of Aerial Locomotion.)

3. A ∉ {P}

(Chimpanzees is not an element in the set of Aquatic.)

4. A Є M ∩ P

(Chimpanzees is an element of the intersection of the sets of Animalia and Omnivores. )

5. A Є H’

(Chimpanzees is an element in the set non-herbivores.)

I partnered up with KM on this Action Project and together we created a Venn diagram. The diagram compares and contrasts the traits of our animals. KM had chosen the Amur Leopard. We found that the Amur Leopard has a couple things in common. We found the common traits first and then moved on to separate traits.

PVU and KM. (September, 2016) 
Venn Diagram

Works Cited


PVU. (September, 2016) Gif

PVU and KM. (September, 2016) Venn Diagram


Aaron Logon. (January 23, 2006) Chimp

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Need A Doctor

Stopping HIV and AIDS

Climate in Budapest