Jesse Owens or Luke Skywalker?

For my final unit, Hero's, in my Humanities class Stories, we learned about heroes and what makes someone a hero. We also learned about the seventeen monomyths. Monomyths are a way to characterize a hero’s journey. Heroes are very opinion based because everyone has their own opinions. Our class took a field experience to the Stony Island Arts Bank. We learned about Theaster Gates, and what makes him a hero to some. For my Action Project, I worked with a partner to choose two people that we thought were heroes. We were supposed to choose one fictional hero and one non-fictional hero. My partner ALA and I chose Jesse Owens, Olympic Champion, and Luke Skywalker from Star Wars. At first, I thought it would not work, but as I went on, I researched my heroes and then everything made more sense. We were supposed to find connections in their lives. Luke Skywalker worked perfectly to the seventeen monomyths we learned about. George Lucas wrote Star Wars basing everyone off of the monomyths. I really liked researching Jesse Owens and Luke Skywalker because I admire both heroes. Jesse Owens achieved amazing things in athletics, and I look up to him because of what he’s been through not just in athletics, but in life. The hardest part of this project was to work with my partner. I had lots of trouble communicating, but I overcame this by pushing until it was done. I took extreme measures to achieve my goal, just like Jesse and Luke.


Jesse Owens
Jesse Owens was an amazing person. He did not only just win multiple Olympic gold medals, but he fought racism. Jesse, being an African American male was treated differently than white males were. Jesse proved a point by winning the 1936 Olympic Games. Jesse proved that anyone and everyone can achieve their goals. This is why I chose Jesse Owens.

Luke Skywalker
Luke Skywalker was a good example for my project. George Lucas made sure that he followed the monomyths. I really like Luke Skywalker because he did things that took courage and did the unordinary. I also chose Luke because I love Star Wars and I really liked Luke’s character.


Interview With Jesse Owens
Call to adventure
Jesse Owens: “People focus on how many hours do you train a week. I train for fifty minutes a day training, but I use that time to get the most out of it”
Refusal of Call
Jesse Owens: “People focus on how many wins does a country win and how many times a flag is flown from the pole, but I never focused on that, I never wanted to. I wanted to learn what I got out of winning and what I can teach others.
Supernatural Aid
Jesse Owens: “I never shook or met Hitler, nor did I care. I had the power of winning, I had the strength to keep going”
Crossing The First Threshold
Jesse Owens: “I was focused on what I was able to accomplish the goals that I have put out there for myself. I was focused on what step did I do to reach my goal.”

Works Cited
"Jesse Owens Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2016.
"Jesse Owens Biography." Jesse Owens. N.p., n.d. Web. 26 Oct. 2016.
"Luke Skywalker." Star Wars. Fansided, n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.
"Luke Skywalker." Heroes. N.p., n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.
Sporting History (Oct 6, 2011) Jesse Owens.
Tveit, Elaine. "Why Did Luke Skywalker Go Into Exile Before The Force Awakens?" Dark Side of the Force. Science Fiction, 2016. Web. 30 Oct. 2016.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Need A Doctor

Stopping HIV and AIDS

Climate in Budapest