Food Review

For my last Action Project for my last term of my freshman year, Food For Thought. In this unit we were studying food reviews. For this Action Project we were instructed to choose a food at a restaurant and a make a home meal. We researched our food We had to find the food, review it and say what we smelled, tasted and felt about the food. We also had to take a picture of our foods. I liked everything about this action project, especially the eating part. I think that I could have made it better.



Tiramisu. It’s a condensed, four-syllable word that can seem quite boring, yet it can be one of the most flavorful dishes. Tiramisu is made of long biscuits called “lady fingers” that are dipped in coffee, layered with eggs, sugar, and mascarpone cheese, and finely flavored and plated with cocoa powder. The translation according to Todd Wilbur, author of the Top Secret Recipes says the meaning of the name is, "cheer me up","wake me up."




I picked up a slice of tiramisu from the Italian Pizza Kitchen. The owner is Italian and they produce a very tasty dish. I walked into the pizza kitchen, and it looked like any other pizza kitchen, but then I saw the tiramisu in the window and I knew it was going be good. It looked almost like snow that hasn’t been touched yet. It was beautiful, small, white, square, but it also looked a little bland. The presentation was really nice but it wasn’t topped with anything special, and the creme blocked the lady fingers. The tiramisu was placed in a tinfoil container. I took off the lid of the container and right away I smelled the aroma of coffee. I touched the top of the cream and it was a little hard but then my fork sank into it. I took my first bite and it was mouth watering, sweet, creamy and flavorful. It was super sweet but you could still taste the espresso coffee in it. I enjoyed this dish but I was looking forward to the next dish. I’m a fan of tiramisu and have eaten several versions of the dish. I have tasted, and created some of the most flavorful tiramisu I’ve ever had.




After trying it at the Italian kitchen, it was time for me to get into the kitchen myself. At the grocery store, I bought eggs, sugar, mascarpone cheese, and cocoa powder. I am a huge fan of homemade dishes, not only do they taste better, but in my opinion, they look better. Homemade dishes show everything that the dish has been through, how each and every aspect was created and cultivated. I decided about what which recipe of tiramisu I would make. I chose to do a traditional “mama style” tiramisu. The dish will be made al dente style. For anyone who doesn’t know what that means, it will be cooked so it’s still firm when eaten. This style is more flavorful and it’s prettier. When you’re looking at it you can see the lady fingers layered in four layers. It is presented with cocoa powder scattered on top with a thick creamy sauce in between each of the four layers. The dish smells strongly of mascarpone and chocolate. The second you taste it your mouth feels this sweet, bitter taste, but also tangy. That’s because this version includes paprika which gives the chocolate a unique kick that you can’t find in restaurant-bought tiramisu. Although the restaurant was good, I think that the homemade was better. I am still on the look for the best Tiramisu. One of Pollan’s five food transformations, is called “quality to quantity.” First is the quality of the Tiramisu is important. Second, the quantity of the homemade was bigger. The Tiramisu was at least three times the restaurant portion. The homemade Tiramisu was organic and GMO free, where I do not know if the restaurant used organic ingredients. Lastly, Tiramisu is a small portion desert, but in a family it can be made for a big family.

(PVU, Restaurant,  May 29, 2016) 
(PVU, Restaurant,  May 29, 2016) 
(PVU, Homemade May 29, 2016) 

(PVU, Homemade May 29, 2016) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Need A Doctor

Stopping HIV and AIDS

Climate in Budapest